On this day in my class you can expect to:
~ draw from life & photographs~ blind contour (draw, but don’t look at your paper)~ get into ‘the zone’ ~ scribble to loosen up~ let go of the outcome~ use a pen
~ draw lots of lines
~ color outside your lines
~ doodle inside your lines
~ be blindfolded
~ scribble fast
~ scribble slow
~ let your mind wander
~ have fun
Both of my classes will be unique experiences, with a few overlapping ideas and activities. If you are so inclined, feel free to take Doodle Draw as well as Expressive Painting. The fundamentals from day one will be a great resource for the layering techniques explored on day two, though definitely not necessary.
Please note: I work and teach very organically, so be prepared to go with the flow! My classes focus on process. While you may walk away with a piece of art ready to hang on your wall, you may also walk away with a few pieces started and ready to inspire many more hours of creating.
No experience necessary
- 6-8 colors of acrylic paint (any brand & make sure to bring your favorite variation of yellow, blue, red & white; try to include a neon color as well)
- paintbrushes in a variety of sizes
- some type of mark makers (colored pencils, markers, watercolor)
- black ball point pen
- a photo or two of an animal &/or plant
- painting clothes/smock
- medium sized sketchbook (nothing fancy as we’ll be making quick drawings & journaling throughout the day. If you have an old & cheap sketchbook, that would be best. A handful of computer paper will work just as well)
$10 (includes a large bristol board & a wood surface; drawing surfaces provided)
Jennifer Mercede is a professional painter living in Portland, Oregon. Her art is all about connecting to the moment and having fun! She loves bright color, is inspired by graffiti, children’s art, life adventures and free-flowing spirit.
Her spontaneous, colorful art has been featured on OPB's Oregon Artbeat and reproductions are sold through the Land of Nod and Oopsy Daisy. In 2011, she and fellow Portland artist Chris Haberman, were voted the My Soiree National Artist Champions in Las Vegas.
She just recently illustrated her first children’s book, Gerry the Giraffe, which is available as an animated e-book and in print. She looks forward to sharing her love for doodling, drawing and painting with those at the Makerie!
Register Online here
back to Retreat Page